It was in France with Phillip Webb that Morris first discussed
plans for the Red House. His vision was of something 'very
medieval in spirit,' and initial ideas were jotted down in
Morris' train timetable.
Eventually, an orchard and meadow in the Kentish town of
Upton, 10 miles from London, were bought, and by April 1859
Webb had completed his drawings for what was to become one
of the most influential collaborative exercises in the history
of British design.
Nonetheless, the building should not be seen as heralding
a revolution in English architecture. It was the followers
of the arts and crafts movement who praised its romanticism
and solidity. The House is now owned by the National Trust.
1 mile from A2 or A207
Wed - Sunday pre-booked tour only, 11am - 5pm. Booking line
number is 01494 755 588 during office hours.
01494 755 588
Red House Lane