There have been gardens at Knebworth since the 1600's. The
present layout dates from Victorian and Edwardian times, with
more recent additions and improvements. In their Victorian
heyday, the Gardens were well known for their Italianate layout
attributed to the eccentric statesman and author Edward Bulwer-Lytton.
The central formal area was later simplified in 1911 by the
Edwardian architect Sir Edwin Lutyens. Since 1980 the gardens
have been undergoing a programme of restoration and development.
The aim is to restore many of the gardens' original features
as well as add new features to improve ease of access and
enjoyment of the gardens.
House, Gardens and Park
The Estate Office, Knebworth House, Knebworth, Hertfordshire
Tel: +44 (0)1438 812661
Fax: +44 (0) 1438 811908